Fathers And Families
Non-custodial and divorced fathers often have trouble navigating the legal and child support system. The following tips may help:
- Establish paternity.
- Attend every child support hearing regarding your case.
- Pay something even when you can not pay the full amount.
- Document payments and keep receipts of purchases requested by the mother and paid on your child's behalf.
- Keep a record of dates and times when you did and did not work and the reasons why.
- Keep copies of all documents from DSS, Family Court, a Clerk of Court, Attorney or the mother regarding child support and visitation.
- Do not ignore official correspondence.
- Contact DSS if you believe you are being harassed by a private child support collection agency.
Explore our site further for information in categories such as child support, paternity and more.