Skip Navigation

The South Carolina Center for Fathers and Families


Q) Who can join the program?
A) A father who is interested in joining Father to Father needs to attend an orientation. Orientation is held in each office at different times. Please contact the office in which you are trying to enroll. Offices are located in Charleston (North Charleston), Berkeley (Moncks Corner) and Colleton (Walterboro) counties.

Q) How can you join the program?

A) A father who is interested in joining Father to Father needs to set up an initial meeting with program staff. Offices are located in North Charleston. At the initial meeting, staff will give an overview of the program and expectations of participants.

Q) How can Father to Father be contacted?

A) Please see our contact us page, or, if you are looking for a specific staff member, check the staff page.

Q) What is ATI?
A) ATI or Alternative To Incarceration programs provide the court system and low-income fathers with an alternative to incarceration for nonpayment of child support. The focus is not to have the father avoid his financial responsibility to his children, but to assist in creating an environment that enables him to meet that obligation.

The premise is twofold: 1) to connect potentially incarcerated fathers with fatherhood programs designed to overcome barriers to appropriate financial and emotional support; and 2) to save the state of South Carolina and taxpayers millions of dollars annually by not incarcerating the fathers who seek to reconnect with their families, but instead working with them on issues related to child support, legal issues, visitation and skill training.

Q) Is there a fee?
A) There is no cost to enroll, and anyone who is an enrolled participant may take part in any event, workshop, session, etc., for free.

Q) What is the difference between a non-custodial parent and a custodial parent?
A) A custodial parent is the parent who has custody of the child(ren). A non-custodial parent does not have custody of the child(ren).

Q) Is there a mother's place or an agency that serves women and mothers?
A) There are agencies within our community that serve women and mothers; referrals to outside agencies are available. The Father to Father Project will accept qualified female applicants.

Q) Does the program serve young males or youth in general?
A) The Project only serves fathers (and mothers) 18-35 that fit the criteria for the program.

Q) When do the fathers meet as a group?
A) Father to Father has weekly group sessions on Thursday evenings beginning at 6:30 pm.  Meetings are held at the Project office, 5675 Woodbine Avenue, North Charleston, SC.  Please call the office for directions.

Q) Who may attend your group sessions?
A) Our sessions are open to all enrolled program participants. Visitors must be approved by the Project/Site Director before attending group sessions.

Q) What is Education Assistance? Will you pay for my education?
A) ) The Father to Father Project does pay for education in specific instances. Further, it assists participants with finding opportunities and resources to secure desired education or technical training that will allow them to get a job or to get a better-paying job. This includes GED classes, computer training, etc.

Q) What is Employment Assistance? Will you give/get me a job?
A) The Project assists participants in finding a job or finding a better-paying job. We have a Job Coach on staff to assist participants in all phases of employment, including interviewing skills, job-retention skills, resume preparation, etc.

Q) Will you make a child support payment for me?
A) The Project does not make child support payments. However, we assist fathers with information and referrals to ensure child support payments are correct based on current income.

Q) Can the mother of my children make me pay back-child support?
A) No, the order for child support is mandated by the court. The mother of your children can file for child support, and then it' s up to the court to decide whether or not you (or the non-custodial parent) will have to pay child support.

Q) How do I get visitation with my children?
A) Primarily, you would use an attorney, if you can afford one. However, the Father to Father Project has pro se visitation packets and offers assistance with completing forms. We also host workshops to provide education about the legal system.

Q) What does "Pro Se" mean?
A) "Pro Se" means to represent oneself in court without the assistance of an attorney.

Q) Are you attorneys?
A) No, but the project does have attorneys available to assist participants with legal issues and to provide legal education.