December 9, 2015
Fatherhood workshop at Edgefield federal prison
A couple of us had the opportunity to participate in a panel discussion in connection with a Child Support and Fatherhood Workshop held at the Federal Correctional Institution in Edgefield, S.C., on Dec. 9.
The event, for inmates who had child support/parenting issues, was hosted by Edith Grice-Peay, the institution's re-entry coordinator.
The discussion was moderated by federal Probation Officer Jake Bookard, and the following were on the panel:
- Charles Brown, assistant director, Midlands Fatherhood Coalition
- Ron Hilton, Aiken site director, Midlands Fatherhood Coalition
- Lorenzo Parker, United States Probation Officer in Columbia
- Charles Reel, Edgefield County Family Court
- Steven Yarborough, S.C. Department of Social Services
The topics included child support, custody issues, and relationships with both children and their mothers. During the question-and-answer session, the panel also addressed such matters as domestic violence, blended families, difficult family dynamics, fatherhood and parenting.
Thanks to the folks in Edgefield for affording us this opportunity!